Friday, February 26, 2010

2010 PhD breakdown - part 1

I'll take a break from the Paris re-cap to give you a run down on what is going on with potential PhD programs that I have applied to for 2010.

First, the good news:

Washington State University - WSU has officially offered me acceptance into their PhD for Business Administration with a concentration in Management. They are in the middle of the pack when it comes to potential schools, so it's a good start.





Next, the bad news:

Univeristy of Minnesota - I got rejected from Minnesota's Human Resources and Industrial Relations PhD this year. I had been put on their waiting list last year, so I thought my chances of getting in this year were pretty good. But since they don't accept the GMAT scores (only the GRE), and since I chose not to update any of my letters of recommendation, I guess there wasn't much more for them to go on this year than there was last year. Oh, well. They were at the very bottom of the list, so I would have chosen WSU over them anyway.

And, the other news:

Purdue University - I had an interview with one of the professors on the Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Management (OBHR) PhD selection committee yesterday morning. I think it went okay, but it's always hard to tell. I am in exactly the same boat that I was in last year at this time. Out of all of there applicants, they are interviewing eight students, including me. Out of those eight, they will choose two.







Texas A&M University - I have been put on the "short" list for Texas A&M's PhD in Business Administration with a concentration in Management. So basically, I am on their waiting list, but I have been told that the list is "VERY short" and that they "almost always make offers to the people on the list at some point." So chances are good that this program will be a possibility as well.





Temple University - I am still under consideration for Temple's Strategic Management PhD program, but I am guessing that my chances there are fairly slim, since there was a mix-up with my undergraduate transcripts that is barely getting worked out, and because I don't have as much of a quantitative/math background as their typical applicant. But no final word has come through yet.






University of Alabama - I am also still under consideration for Alabama's PhD program in Management. This was kind of a last minute addition to the programs that I applied to, but I think it would be a good one. I have not heard much word either way from them at this point.









I will keep you posted as I receive further word, especially when a decision has been made.

(P.S. Apparently, I like "red" schools. I never even thought of that until I pulled all of their logos.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

congratulations, and good luck! please keep us updates.

Jean said...

Nice! Some good options there, hopefully! Keep us posted!

kim edvarchuk said...

Congrats! Thats exciting...and there is a lot of red on that screen.