Saturday, July 24, 2010

Box Elder Bugs


These bugs are pretty much my arch-nemesis. They are all over around our fourplex. I kill about 50 a day, and I think I am still losing the battle.

Everywhere I look online, it just tells me that box elder bugs aren't anything to worry about - they won't mate indoors, they won't bite, they don't carry diseases, etc. Basically they are supposedly harmless. But I don't believe it; I think it's all a conspiracy, so I am continuing the fight.

A couple of years ago, the bugs were all over in the Business building at USU. One of my classmates decided to jump up and smash one on the wall with his feet. He successfully got the bug, but lost his balance in the process and ended up with stitches in his head after a run-in with a table on his way to the ground. Not fun for him - but at least we got to postpone the Labor Relations test we were supposed to have that day.

So my only rule for fighting box elder bugs is to keep both feet on the ground.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Well good luck in the ongoing battle. I waged war with ants for a while in our old apartment, and man... I got crazy sometimes. Those little things would ignite a fire of hatred in me (even though they're totally harmless, too). Hahahaha! Bugs have a way of doing that to us, sometimes. :-)

chartie said...

I've taken out about 200 of them today, but I'm pretty sure they just grow back and multiply every time you squash them.

Joy said...

My parents have a special subspecies that lives only in their living room. These lil' buggers must mate indoors, because how else to explain their existence in Vernal in February?