Sunday, April 20, 2008

International Trip - Part IV - The Desert Safari

One of the evenings we were in Dubai, we rode in SUVs out to the desert for a desert safari. Once we got there, we made our first stop so that the drivers could take air out of the tires to make it easier to get around in the desert. We used that opportunity to get our first pictures.

Then we got back in our vehicles and proceeded to ride the roller coaster of desert sand dunes. I did pretty well, considering I hadn't taken any dramamine. It was actually a lot of fun.


Along the way, we saw some camel caravans out for a stroll.

Our final stop before we got to our destination allowed us the opportunity to take in the desert sunset.

Finally, we reached our destination, where we were able to partake of a great feast of lamb and chicken, mediterranean olives, flatbread, and a lot of other things I do not recall. In addition to dinner we also had the opportunity to take camel rides.

We were also treated to a belly dancing show, part of which included some volunteers from the audience. I don't know if you should consider yourself lucky or unlucky, but I have not obtained a video or pictures of the belly dancing masterpiece of the two Chrises (myself and my trip roommate). 

We also got henna tattoos - a form of temporary tattoo that stains the skins and lasts about 2-3 weeks. I got one of a camel on the inside of my forearm and then this work of art on my upper arm to show my wife how much I love her. Pretty romantic, right? 


This was definitely the most authentic arabic/middle eastern part of our visit to Dubai. The city itself is so urbanized, that it was almost like being in the US. I am glad we were able to take part in this fun and very memorable activity to take in a little bit of the culture while we were there.

1 comment:

Johan Silver said...

Dubai is now so advanced that they now produce good fishing boats, yacht charters of different sizes so that people can do boasting as well.


Desert Safari Dubai