Saturday, January 31, 2009

The reading train sets off

After getting inspired by Sherpa's blog, I made it a goal to read 50 books this year. And I thought I would also copy her idea of listing those books on my blog. However, in order to try to keep up on my reading, my goal is to outline the books I have read each month (rather than waiting until the end of the year). I'm not claiming that I'm going to go for the 1,000 page Dickens Classics (I hated David Copperfield), but at least I will get to catch up on some pleasure reading that was sorely neglected during my Masters program. So here's the list of books read in January:
by Terry Brooks
Back in high school, I got hooked on Terry Brook's Shannara series books, starting with The Sword of Shannara. They were similar to The Lord of the Rings books, except that it takes place thousands of years into a future. It's been over ten years since reading those books, and I found out while in Border's recently that there are a set of prequels. So I found this in the library and gave it a shot. It's an interesting look at a post-apocalyptic society where humans are threatened by demons and once-men (mainly humans who have mutated due to the chemical, nuclear, and atomic warfare). I like Terry Brooks writing style, even though the cliffhanger ending that continues in the next book was a little drawn out and predictable.

by Terry Brooks
The second of the prequels in the series, this book talks less about human/demon struggle and more about elves. These elves have supposedly kept themselves hidden since man populated the Earth and are now needed to help man overcome the demons. I found this book more cheesy and vastly more predictable than the first book. But it was still entertaining, and left another cliffhanger ending to prepare for the last book of the trilogy. Unfortunately, all four copies of that book are checked out from our local library, so I will have to wait for a while before I get my hands on it.

Running with the Demon
by Terry Brooks
While reading the books above, I realized that there was another trilogy written before those prequels were written. So, of course, I had to read that trilogy while waiting for the other book from the library. This trilogy takes place before the apocalyptic events occur and kind of tell the story leading up to it. This book weaves magic into a normal, everyday small town middle America. because it deals with times and places close to present day, it is more realistic and graphically disturbing than his other books. But it kept my attention better than the other books.

by Terry Brooks
This book definitely wins the award for cheesiest cover. It takes place in modern day Seattle. The fight between good (the Word) and evil (the Void) continues. This book did little to progress the story of the previous book and was 100% predictable throughout. Probably my least favorite of the books I read this month.

by Jeff Kinney
I saw this book one day at USU's bookstore and sat down and read the first little bit of it while Deidra was shopping. It was pretty entertaining, so I got it from the library and I was not disappointed. It recounts - in words and drawings - the story of a middle school kid and reminds us all of the some of the funny and ridiculous parts of growing up. It was extremely easy to get through and pretty darn funny.

by Terry Brooks
The last of The Word and the Void trilogy, this book wraps up the previous two and prepares us for Armageddon's Children (which, by the way, made more sense after I read this book). It was pretty good, but not anything too memorable.

by Jeff Kinney
The second in this series, this book deals more with family relationships. Like the first book, the words and drawing come together to make an easy, entertaining read.

So there you have it - my first seven books of the year. As you can see, I haven't really branched out all that much yet. On tap so far for February are the following:
  • Keeper of Dreams - Orson Scott Card
  • Dairy of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw - Jeff Kinney
  • The Gypsy Morph - Terry Brooks
  • Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling - Richard L. Bushman
Now that I have almost caught up on the books I have been wanting to read, I certainly welcome any suggestions for other books to read. So let me know what books you've read recently or that you've heard are good. Perhaps I will add them to my list.

2 comments:

Reeders said...

I can't remember if we spoke about this or not but the Alvin Maker series of Orson Scott Card's are really good. Also if you've never read Stephen King's The Stand I would recommend that. I would also HIGHLY recommend Gregory Maguires books. The two that I liked the best were Wicked and Confessions of an ugly stepsister. I don't know if you know who he is but he rewrites all of the fairytales from the "bad guys" point of view and makes them out to be the good guys. They're very entertaining!

Zack said...

Wow that is a lot of reading in one month! I'm impressed! I know this is cliche, but if you haven't read the twilight series yet you might want to try them. They're very addicting and not just for girls.