Sunday, March 01, 2009

PhD program status

Some of you read last year about my plans of applying to PhD programs. I thought I should give you an update as to what I have heard back so far:

  • University of Minnesota - I have been placed on their waiting list and should hear back by mid-August at the latest about whether or not I am accepted.
  • Purdue University - I interviewed with a professor at Purdue over the phone last week. I am on a "short list" of eight potential PhD students. They will be extending offers to two of the eight. I should hear back in the next couple of weeks.
  • Michigan State University - I got a rejection letter from MSU in the mail. I emailed the professor who sent the letter and inquired about why I had not been accepted and what I could do to strengthen my application for the future. He responded by saying that they had only received my electronic application, not any of the supporting materials (references, transcripts, etc.). I told him that I had sent the information in, and gave him the address that they were sent to. Come to find out, MSU has two HR PhD programs - half of my application materials went to one (in the Management school), and the other half went to the other (in the Labor and Industrial Relations school). I have since had everything transferred to the Management school, and they are re-reviewing my full application.
I have not heard anything from the other five schools (UCLA, U. of Michigan, Indiana U., U. of Illinois, and U. of Maryland). I'll keep you posted as I get more information.

No comments: