Friday, April 02, 2010

2010 PhD Breakdown - part 3

After no news for the past couple of weeks, things started moving pretty quickly yesterday. Here is the latest on the PhD process:

Purdue University - I am still weighing the offer that they gave me. They have been in contact with me quite frequently and I have talked with four different professors there regarding potential admission.

Texas A&M - After being on their waiting list, I was finally offered admission yesterday! The interesting thing is that they haven't had any of their prospective students turn them down as of yet, but they decided to fund one more position and make me that offer. It's a very competitive offer and definitely makes me give them strong consideration as well.

The University of Alabama - After not hearing from them for about a month, I got a call yesterday morning and set up an interview for later that day. I went through the interview and received another call later yesterday afternoon with an offer of admission!

Looking at the schools and the programs, I think the decision comes down to Purdue or Texas A&M. I will probably contact the University of Alabama today and decline their offer. But Deidra and I have got a tough decision to make over the weekend. But this kind of decision is better than the "What do I do now?" decision that I had to make last year after being rejected from all of the schools.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Definitely a better position to be in this time around!! Congrats!! Can't wait to hear!

Trey said...

i went through a similar experience last year with med school. i had multiple offers. it was super tough to make that choice. but here we are at penn state and happy with the decision. for me, the most important thing was a good fit. you can go by program alone, but you might not be happy where you are. michelle and i made huge pros/cons lists after a while and that seemed to help. i like your attitude though, you actually have choices! good luck, let us know what happens