Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oh, Car Keys, Where Art Thou?



When I was about eighteen, I was in a musical in Oakley, ID, about thirty minutes from where I lived in Declo. I drove that stretch of road almost every day for a good month or two during rehearsals, using whatever car wasn't being used by my parents or older brother.

One day, when driving my dad's 1970 Mustang (which has since been sold, unfortunately), I somehow lost the key to the car. It was a single key and it must have slipped out of my pocket. Despite my prayers, pleading and efforts, my friends and I looked unsuccessfully all over to find it. We ended up leaving the car there that day and having a locksmith come out and fashion a new key.

A couple of summers ago, Deidra and I moved to Washington DC for summer internships. Shortly before we did, I lost my car/house/work keys. Try as I might, I could not find them anywhere. I ended up using our spare car key until we moved to DC and left our car here. At some point during the summer, the people subletting our apartment in Logan found my keys and returned them to me upon our return to Utah. Where and how they found the keys, I don't know.

Now it's happened again. 

If there are any sleuths out there looking to solve the case, here is the scenario:

Monday evening, upon arriving home from work and the gym, I remember locking our car because my work laptop and projector were in there. That was the last time I remember seeing the keys. I have looked in the pants, jacket, and workout clothes I was wearing. I have looked in couch cushions, under couches, in my gym bag, and even in the refrigerator (the first thing I remember doing upon arriving home is getting a Powerade from the fridge).

So, any ideas? There will be a reward to anyone that can successfully guess where they are.

4 comments:

Corrine said...

You need the clapper key chain!
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/keyfinder/index.html

My grandma had this, worked like a charm. :)

Unknown said...

are they outside, under the car maybe? in your shoes...int he laundry, wrapped up in smelling workout clothes? down a vent?

Reeders said...

under the couch?

Audrey Seymour said...

did you check the bottom of the washing machine or dryer? That's always where I find scott's stuff! Sometime 20 dollars bill, all clean and stain free.
Sometime I also find them in bed for Scott gets real tired and take a nap with his pants and keys in it. Then in the middle of the night I have keys tattooed on my hips. What is it with guys and keys?