Saturday, April 16, 2011

Way to go, Deidra Zoe!

I am writing this blog post as I watch my wife and baby girl sleeping all snuggled up together. Dang they're cute!

Deidra and I welcomed Amelia Grace Hartwell into the world today at 12:09am. She weighed in at 7 lbs. 7 oz. and 20.5 inches long. And, of course, she is the most beautiful baby ever born into existence!

And while I am a new proud father, I am also an amazingly proud husband. If men had to go through what women have to go through in carrying and delivering a baby, I'm pretty sure humans would have been extinct long ago.

I was thinking of childbirth in comparison to running a marathon, since it takes so long and is so exhausting. However, I have come to realize that a marathon is about 100 times easier. Childbirth is like running an ultra-marathon that you can't really train for, you are not sure when it will happen, and you don't know how long the marathon is going to be. So you just keep running and hoping that somehow you'll reach the finish line. Oh, and did I mention that you have to sprint up increasingly steeper hills for bursts throughout the marathon at increasing frequent intervals?

But the pay off at the end of childbirth is much more rewarding (and a heck of a lot cuter) than a medal!

So, good work Deidra! You are an amazing woman. And good work little Millie, because I'm sure you've had a rough day as well. And rest on - I think you've both earned a peaceful sleep.

(P.S. I am sure more information and pictures will follow at some point soon!)

5 comments:

kim edvarchuk said...

CONGRATULATIONS NEW DAD....that is so exciting. And welcome to parenthood. Its a great new world!

Reeders said...

I am so happy for you guys. I need your address, as soon as you get a moment... I will wait patiently... take your time! ENJOY!

The Nate and Sara Project said...

What an awesome comparison! Good work, Chris, for being the best sideline coach/trainer she could have.

Audrey Seymour said...

Congratulation! I saw the picts on Facebook she is super cute and I love the name you picked!

Jean said...

YAYAYAYAYAY!!! SO HAPPY!!!