Saturday, January 13, 2007

Why I hate USU right now


As some of you know, I have been taking some classes at USU in hop es of starting a graduate program in the fall. Well, this semester has been almost more hassle than it's worth. I was originally given six classes that I needed to take as prerequisites for the graduate program. I took two of those last semester (ECON 1500 & ACCT 2010). This semester, I registered for ECON 2010, and then attempted to register for one of the other three prerequisite classes (BA 3400, 3500, & 3700). I was unable to register for any of those three classes because I was told I did not meet the prerequisites for those classes. I appealed to the Business department, who told me that they could not help me because I was registered as a graduate student and that I needed to talk to the graduate advising. I did that and was told that I had not yet been accepted into a graduate program and that I needed to talk with the Business department. (and, as a side note that will come in to play later, I found out that the head of the program that I had worked with last year had since left the University for another position and there was a new department head.) I then went to the Admissions office to see if I could get my enrollment changed from "Graduate - Non-Matriculated" to "Undergraduate" and enroll in a degree program for a second bachelor's (one of the requirements for the BA classes is to be admitted into a degree program). I was told that I would have to go through the entire application process again and that it was too late to do that for the current semester. I was told to talk to the professor of one of those BA courses and that he could sign me in to the class and orverride any holds to do so. So I emailed the professor and explained my situation, to which I received the following reply:

Chris,

I am not sure who you are talking with, but the best place to get help is the graduate office on the 8th floor of the Business building. I am unable to make any exceptions with regard to classes. I’m sure they can answer any of your questions. I will let them know that you will be contacting them.

So there I was, back at square one. I appealed one last time to the Business department advising office and was finally granted permission to fax them my transcripts from my undergraduate days at GWU. Once I did that, I was once again shut down and told that I could not get into the BA classes with being admitted into a degree program and taking MATH 1100 and STAT 2300. So I decided I would just sign up for one of those classes this semester so that I would at least be taking two classes and would thus be considered a half-time student. That way I could at least keep my previous student loans on deferrment for this semester. Well, I attempted to sign in to one class and then the other class without success. I was still given the message that I was missing prerequisties for those math classes. (For those of you keeping track, that would mean that I was expected to take prerequisites for the prerequisites to the prerequisites to get into the graduate program.) By this time, I was getting quite frustrated. I sent an email to the Math department explaining my situation and attaching the previous email correspondence I had exchanged with other USU departments. I got an email back simply stating that I had been cleared to take those two Math classes. Finally, a department that was understanding and easy to work with.

So, I finally am signed up for two online classes this semester, ECON 2010 and STAT 2300. And STAT 2300 is a four credit course, so we'll see how busy that keeps me during the semester. I am not really looking forward to it all that much.

And just in case you thought that was the end of the story . . . there's more. Feel free to take a break and grab something to eat or use the restroom if you need to. I know this is a long post.

Ready now? OK.

After going through this ordeal, I figured it might be in my best interest to contact the Masters of Human Resources program and find out if I would be able to take the BA courses in the summer. In addition, I knew that the head of the department had left. Last year, I had communicated back and forth with her quite a bit and was told that I would be able to do the master's program while still working, and that she would work with me specifically to help me be able to do so. So I emailed the department and asked them about the BA classes and also about completing the program while still working. I was told that I could indeed take the BA classes in the summer without having to worry about their prerequisites. (So why such a hassle about prerequisites this semester? I have no idea.) But in response to my other question, I was told that "it would be very difficult, if not impossible" to complete the program while still working. So it makes me wonder if all of the prerequisite class crap is going to be for naught. If I didn't get reimbursed for classes through work and get my student loans deferred for being a half-time student, I would probably not take any classes. But I figure no matter what happens, these classes could only help me when it comes to getting into a graduate program ... whether or not it is at USU. You know, GWU has a great Masters of Human Resources program designed especially for working professionals and there just happens to be a Branch Manager position open in DC with Kelly Services. Believe me, it's tempting ...

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Holy... Who do USU think they are? I mean, you went to freakin' *George Washington* for your undergrad!

In all seriousness, I do NOT miss all of the hoops necessary just to get into a local university. It might actually just be easier to apply to GWU grad school long distance (because of your history there) versus USU locally!

Ahem, but not before you and Deidre get together with us for a double date or something...

Good luck, Chris.

Unknown said...

wow, i tell you what, wow! i am so sorry about the whole run-around. that's really not cool. if i had more power, than just being an undeclared peer adviser, i would get you the hook-up, but sadly, tha closest i can get you is to undcl. bus. adviser. i believe she graduated in the same program that you're doing actually. you could maybe come talk to her about the program if you wanted. she's from burley also!