Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Going under


Tomorrow morning I get all four of my wisdom teeth out. The oral surgeon has assured me that it will be a routine procedure, and that the recovery should be fairly quick (especially since none of them are impacted). Over a month ago, I made the appointment for tomorrow and have not thought much about. But now that it's less than 24 hours away, I'm starting to get a little nervous. I know I really have nothing to worry about, but sometimes that still doesn't keep one from worrying. I have never been "put under" before, so I am a little nervous about what that is going to feel like and then there's always the fear of something going majorly wrong and not waking up (as unfounded as that fear may be). And what about when I do wake up? Am I going to be out of it for a while? Is it going to hurt? Am I going to be able to enjoy any of this 5-day span of not working - including Easter? I know some people who were mostly normal within a day of the opration and other that were down for a long time and had to deal with a number of problems associated with the removal of wisdom teeth (dry sockets, infections, etc). Let's just hope that the procedure and recovery are as painless and quick as I have been told it should be.

5 comments:

Sara said...

The most fun part about being put under is trying to fight it. I do that every time. When they make you count backward from 100, try to make it all the way to 1. Try as if your life depended on it. It's a fun game! I made it to 96 once.

robin marie said...

how are you only now getting your wisdom teeth out!??! i was not put under for mine.. so be very very greatful you won't hear the cracking and feel the pressure!!! i kind of looked like a chipmunk for a day.

chartie said...

I have a big mouth, that's how. They've all been in for over 10 years, but now they're starting to show signs of decay and cause a bit of a problem from time to time.

But now they're gone - as I type this one-handed, with my other hand holding an ice pad to my cheek. Everything went well and was quick. No swelling so far, so hopefully I'll be able to kkep it that way.

chartie said...

Oh, and Sarah - I didn't even make it close to 96. :-)

Sara said...

Did you really fight it? Was it fun? WAS IT?? I'm glad you're still alive.