Saturday, February 21, 2009

Gattaca

Ok, so I am somewhat obsessed with the movie GATTACA. It originally came out while I was on my mission, and the first time I heard about it was after I came home and I watched it with a group of friends. Maybe I'm just a big nerd, but the whole futuristic, scientific premise of the movie fascinates me. I recently had to do a research paper for my Employment Law class. I did my paper on the legalities of genetic testing and genetic discrimination in employment, and referred to GATTACA in the opening of that paper.

Ever since Deidra and I got married (and even before then), I have been passively looking to purchase the movie. Basically, wherever we went that had DVDs for sale (the supermarket, video stores, Bukoos, etc.), I would rummage through their collection to try and find.

Well, I am happy to announce that after years of searching, I finally found it this week at ROSS for $4! Deidra told me I had to buy it, just to finally be done with the whole ordeal. So now I am the proud owner of GATTACA!

(If you've never seen it, I would highly recommend it. Let me know if you want to borrow it!)

7 comments:

Sara said...

Dude, I'm sure you could have bought it on Amazon for less than $4 one hundred times by now! I buy all my movies on Amazon, and I buy some pretty rare movies.

chartie said...

Probably, but it's more of the thrill of the hunt and the find.

Jean said...

Yeah, we like that one! Tim just tracked it down a couple months ago, so we're proud owners now too.

Eric Herman said...

Yup, great movie. I picked it up in the Walmart $5 a couple years ago. Other films in a vaguely similar vein include The Island, Minority Report and Harrison Bergeron.

robin marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robin marie said...

basically that is the movie where ethan hawk knocks up uma thurman - and that wasn't in the script!

Daisy Paige said...

I hate to say it, but I hated Gattaca. But I don't enjoy anything futuristic or science fictiony to the point that now I just don't watch them anymore.

So can Josh tag along with you guys next time you head to the show?