Monday, November 20, 2006

Diatribe from the pulpit

At church on Sunday, we had a guest speaker (High Councilman) speak to us in sacrament meeting. And I could not believe what was said. Previously in the meeting, the Bishop had told a story about flying this week and the scare when a fire started on a bus near his aircraft. Well, later on in the meeting, when the guest speaker got up to speak, he started off by saying:

"I am grateful for the Bishop's story about the difficulties of flying. I also had difficulties in flying this week. But while the Bishop's problems were with a fire, mine was in dealing with the TSA airport security."

The congregation chuckled a bit at this statement, as most of us have encountered the increased security measures recently. And if this was where the story ended, there would really not even be a story. But whether the speaker felt encouraged because of the congregation's response, or whether he just had some frustration to get off his chest, he decided to continue on this subject. He went off talking about how we still live in a free country and how airports are the only place that you are "checked, checked, checked, and re-checked." He explained situations where he has been traveling and had to go through these security procedures that have caused him to miss his flights. Another good quote:

"I don't see why somebody who is making $5.15 an hour should have the power to control our lives."

And it gets better. He told story of being in a security line where a 90 year-old man ahead of him in line was screened, and his baggage was opened up and searched. He exclaimed sarcastically: "Yeah, that guy sure looked like a terrorist to me!" This was followed a short time later by an African-American priest that was also searched. Again, came the sarcasm: "I'm sure this priest was a terrorist, too!" Then it came time for our story-teller himself, and he also was taken aside for additional screening. He concluded the story by saying:

"Behind me in line were a few passengers that were more ethnically appropriate passengers to be screened, and they passed through the security checkpoint without incident. There is something wrong with that picture."

Are you kidding me? Did he really just say that some passengers are "ethnically appropriate" to be screened? And during an address from the pulpit at church? He literally went off for ten minutes with his views about the airline security procedures. There were plenty of other inappropriate statements, but fortunately I have forgotten them for the most part. And the entire congregation was wondering why he was talking about it and if he was going to have any spiritually-based message at all. Finally, he moved on to the topic he had prepared for the last 5-10 minutes of his talk. But by then it was too late, at least for me. I could not focus on it, and I felt like the Spirit had already been lost. But it sure makes for a good blog entry. I don't know if this retelling even captures the horror, awe, and discomfort of the inappropriateness - maybe you had to be there.

4 comments:

Deidra said...

I was there. It was super awkward. I turned to reading the words of a prophet to prepare myself for RS. You should have given up listening, too!

I'd like to think that my obvious and exaggerated glances at the clock, from the front row, made him think his time was up-- even if it technically wasn't. His time was SO up!

robin marie said...

that sounds strangely like what i experienced at the centreville stake conference on sunday... but it was the dc temple president who was speaking... his wife went first, then she said she had asked her husband to sing a song in spanish for the spanish speaking members (it was the primary song where is love). the husband (aka temple president) gets up, sings and the wife comes over to give him a little hug after playing the piano for him... he then says "i promise not to beat her when i get home."

i was SHOCKED. not only that he who would say that from the pulpit, but that someone in his position would even think that was semi-appropriate to say AND i was horrified that the congregation actually laughed... it was extremely disturbing. it's times like that when i tell myself repeatedly, "the church is still ture."

KamilahNYC said...

WOW! It has been a long time since I heard stories like that, but oh how real they are! Scary, huh?
It's kind of like the guy who was mad that I was getting my boots shined in a "man's shop". And then proceeded to tell me that next thing you know, "women are going to be able to fly planes." I responded - "they already do"...
Hey, maybe I will blog about that!

Laurie said...

Oh no, I didn't have to be there to understand the discomfort. I was squirming in my seat just reading your entry!

People are so strange sometimes. Last week, a gentleman in our ward got up for his talk and his opening "joke" was, "You know, I visit all of the wards in this stake, and this ward has the sexiest women. Really, you should be proud of your wives. They're beautiful."

Creeeeeeeepy!!

PS Your wife is hilarious. Though, I hope it isn't creepy to say that. She always makes me laugh in her comments.