Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Textbook Travails

I am currently taking a couple of online classes at USU as pre-requisites for a Human Resources graduate program. For one of the classes, Deidra and I decided not to but the $150 textbook, but to check it out at the library instead. I can only check it out for three hours at a time, which usually works well for me. I check it out, read the chapter, do the assignment, and then hand the book back in. If I need additional time, I check it out for an additional three hours or come back and check it out another day.

For the first part of the semester, this worked out well. Most of the time i wanted to check out the book, they had it available, though every once in a while it would be checked out by somebody else. But ever since getting back from Boston, I have not been able to secure the book. I tried twice a day for almost two weeks straight. But each time I went in, I was told that the book was unavailable. Finally, about a week ago, one of the library employees told me that they actually have no idea where the book is - whether it is lost or if somebody checked it out and never returned it.

So I finally had to break down and order the book online. I have three assignments that are late, and a test to take next Thursday, so I didn't have many other options. Luckily, I was able to find the book online for only $80. It should be waiting for me when I get off work today, and I will have my nose in it almost constantly for the next week, in order to complete my late assignments and prepare for my test. I don't look forward to spending so much time on my back-logged assignments, but I will sure be glad to get caught up. Who knew that one textbook could cause so much of a hassle?

No comments: