Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Chillin' with the In-Laws


So, yesterday was the Fourth of July - a day synonymous with BBQ, sun, water sports, fireworks, friends, and family. Well, my wife and I woke up early in the morning with no plans whatsoever for the day. The City of Logan does their fireworks show on July 3rd and we had already gone to that with some friends, so we thought the majority of our Independence Day celebration was complete even before the 4th of July began. In fact, after going to our garden in the morning and picking about ten million snap peas, and then putting the big American flag (that we got as a gift when we got married) in our apartment window, we found ourselves at home at 11 a.m. wondering what to do for the rest of the day.

We decided to call my wife's sister in Blackfoot, ID, and find out what they were up to. Well, that started the ball rolling. Her sister called around to the rest of their family and by that afternoon my wife and I met up with her three sisters, one of their husbands, two nephews, and my wife's parents at Massacre Rock. Not too bad for a last minute family get-together, if you ask me. And despite the fact the I tried unsuccessfully for the third time to get up on the wakeboard, I had a good time spending the day with family. (For the record, I did actually have fun tubing and kneeboarding - and one day I will conquer the wakeboard as well.) There was all sorts of good food and drink (particularly the brats), and it's always entertaining to play with our two nephews, at 18 months and 6 months old. We spent more time driving to and from Massacre Rock (a total of about five hours) then we actually spent there (about four and a half hours), but I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable holiday. After hearing all the jokes and horror stories for years about in-laws, I've decided that I am a pretty lucky guy to have the in-laws that I have.