Monday, July 03, 2006

Name origins - Part II

I already got a comment from my first post - a request for another name origin, no less. I must be getting famous. Of course, it was my sister-in-law, but I'll take it.

So, the request was that I explain the origin of "chartie," the name I use to sign my comments and blog posts. Unfortunately, it's not quite as colorful of a story as GoodNed, but we'll explain it nonetheless. About 5 years ago, I moved into a three-bedroom rowhouse in DC, joining two other roommates that were already there. One of them decided he had to come up with a nickname for me. It started as "Chartwell," the first initial of my first name combined with my last name. He thought it was a great nickname, especially since I am a musician and it could have a double meaning in that sense (i.e. my music will do well on the charts, or something). Soon it came to be shortened as "Chartie," which then spread to my other roommate (and subsequent roommates) and friends in DC. And that's the story, albeit a short one, of how that name came to be.

No comments: