Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The New York Yankee

I had a meeting in Salt Lake City yesterday for work, which was very useful and full of good information, but nothing that any of you would care anything about. What you might be interested in is the lunch. We ordered lunch to be delievered from Jake's Deli and it was way good. They have a cool online ordering system where our boss went online and created a group order ID, and then each of us went online and ordered whatever we wanted to eat (we did this earlier on in the week). Well, I am the only man working with seven women, so when the lunches showed up, I think there was a total of 4 salads, 2 soups, 1 wrap, and my big ol' sandwich. It wasn't too bad . . . until I actually opened up the sandwich wrapping and looked at the mammoth. I had ordered the "New York Yankee" which was pastrami and corned beef. As my wife knows, I am a big fan of pastrami, and I was picturing a normal-sized sandwich with a few thin slices of pastrami and corned beef. When I opened it up, I realized that it lived up to it's name more than I had anticipated. Bulging between two comparitively thin slices of rye bread and a measely slice of provolone cheese was (no exaggeration) a good eight or nine inches of thin pastrami and corned beef piled high and thick. As I opened up the sandwich, I saw everyones' eyes and mouths gape wide open as they compared my half-an-animal sandwich to their petite little soups and salads. Determined to show that I was up to the task, I opened my mouth as wide as possible (which some of you know is pretty dang wide) and began the quest with my first bite. It was SO good and I was able to finish off the entire sandwich, a pickle, pasta salad, and lemonade - to the surprise of all present (including myself). What I didn't tell my co-workers was that I was also the only pig to order dessert. Instead, I kept my chocolate turtle cheesecake concealed in the bag and took it home with me. I think they had seen enough already.

As a sidenote, by the time I got home I felt a little sick. I don't think man was meant to eat that much meat in one sitting. We had eaten lunch at about 12:30, and when my wife asked what I felt like for dinner at about 5:30, I told her I felt like I had just eaten and didn't even need dinner. I started feeling better as the evening progressed, and I later helped her eat the slice of cheesecake, but the New York Yankee was enough meat to serve me for two meals. So I highly recommend Jake's Deli, but be careful about what you order, because you could get more than you bargained for.

No comments: