Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sacred Naptime

Ok, I know it's kind of ridiculous, but I like my morning naptime. Our alarm goes of at 6am, which is when I get up and go downstairs to read my morning scriptures. After completing that, I usually cozy into the loveseat and take a nap until 6:45 or 7 (depending on when I need to be at work). Then I wake up, eat breakfast, go back upstairs, wake up Deidra and then get ready for my day. Now, that's not too unreasonable, is it?

Last night, Deidra pleaded with me to make sure that I help her wake up at 6am too, instead of allowing her to sleep until 7ish. I was originally defensive, stating that if she wanted to get up when the alarm went off, I was more than happy to let her do so, but I wasn't going to extend any monumental effort on my part to force her to do so. But the main reason I was really defensive was because I knew if she woke up when I did, my nap time would be gone, as she would expect me to use my morning time more "productively." but after her incessant pleading last night, I finally caved and told her I would try to wake her up in the morning. In return, she told me she would do her scripture reading, etc., upstairs in the morning, so as not to disturb my precious naptime.

So I woke up like usual this morning and made a half-hearted effort to wake Deidra up, hoping that she would roll back over and go to sleep. But after I came downstairs, I heard her stirring above me and knew that she had indeed made it out of bed. After reading President Hinckley's final comments from conference, I laid down on the loveseat and closed my eyes. Ten minutes later, Deidra comes downstairs and tells me it's time to wake up. Here's the gist of the conversation:

Deidra: "Chris, it's time to wake up now."
me: "What? It's only 7:30, I still have a good 15-20 minutes to nap."
Deidra: "No, you've slept enough. We need to get our spare bedroom cleaned up."
me: "But you told me if I woke you up, that I could still have my nap."
Deidra: "I said that if you woke me up, I would do my scripture study, etc., upstairs. And I did. But now I'm done and we have things that need to be done this morning."

Hence the end of my nap. And I am sure Deidra will attest to the fact that I was not exactly "happy." In fact, I believe she referred to me as Mr. Grumpypants. But that's what happens when you interrupt the sacred naptime in the morning. All I know is that, if Deidra wants to ruin my mornings by waking up early, she's going to have to do it without my assistance in the future. Then we'll see if her desire to interrupt my naptime in the morning is strong enough to wake her from her own precious extra sleep.

*Note: I dare say this post will not last too long without a rebuttal post and/or comment from Deidra, so keep posted for that! :)

3 comments:

Karisa said...

Sooner or later Deidra must learn that men require their own special time. Wether it be perusing the Fastline over breakfast or having the bathroom all to themselves. Once she learns this, things can be much happier.

Nikkala said...

Yay for morning naps! Mine are usually interrupted by Bentley's foot ending up in my face. Enjoy them while you can.

Deidra said...

Lest all of you think Chris is picked on, let me enlighten you on his afternoon. He gets off work at 4:00, so he has that hour to himself too (I know honey, you have to ride your bike home). Usually he's plunked down on the sofa or on the computer. Don't feel too bad to him. If we got things done at night, we wouldn't have to do them in the morning (but mornings are cooler and that means a happier wife, and there are less things to get distracted by)!